Parry Cameron has over thirty years’ experience handling all phases of complex business litigation, from initial pleadings through appeal, in state and federal courts. He has represented clients in a wide variety of matters, including those involving contract disputes, healthcare licensing and compliance, healthcare fraud and abuse, healthcare provider and health plan payment disputes, corporate governance and shareholder derivative actions, fiduciary duties, trade secret misappropriation, fraud, unfair competition, real estate, probate, defamation, employment, securities, entertainment and sports, intellectual property (trademark and copyright), professional liability and tax. His litigation practice also extends to arbitration proceedings, bankruptcy adversary proceedings, class actions and administrative proceedings (including before the California Department of Managed Health Care, California Department of Health Services, and California Department of Corporations).Mr. Cameron also served as a results oriented and business minded General Counsel to real property management and real estate holding companies. In this role, he provided legal advice regarding all aspects of the business, oversaw both California and out-of-state litigation and actively handled select business and employment litigation, administrative and appellate matters. Mr. Cameron had recurring interactions with local and state governmental and regulatory agencies dealing with housing, labor and tax matters. He also negotiated and drafted a variety of contracts, including those involving vendors, payroll, insurance and real estate transactions. Mr. Cameron further advised on special projects, including business litigation matters spanning approximately 20 years involving claims in excess of one billion dollars.
- Successfully defended a health plan, obtaining a defense award in arbitration, against a medical group's contract and fraud claims seeking in excess of $20 million.
- Secured summary judgment for trustee/beneficiary in a multi-million dollar trust dispute.
- Secured a unanimous jury verdict and multi-million dollar judgment (compensatory and punitive damages) for a nonprofit health care provider in a dispute arising from a hospital's repudiation of an Adult Day Health Care joint venture.
- Secured (a) judgment at trial for defendant officers and directors in a corporate governance action alleging fraud, making of "secret profits" and breach of fiduciary duties, and (b) affirmance of trial court decision on appeal.
- Secured judgment at trial on behalf of nonprofit in defense of trademark infringement action brought by the Seventh Day Adventist Church.
- Obtained a multi-million dollar settlement for an Independent Practice Association in a lawsuit against its former director and a competitor IPA alleging fiduciary duty breaches and trade secret misappropriation.
- Secured judgment at trial for property owner in a challenge by city and redevelopment agency to the relocation of an automobile dealer.
- Secured a multi-million dollar settlement for a wholesale provider of emergency roadside services in a contract, trade secret misappropriation and tortious interference suit against a General Electric subsidiary.
- Confirmed $40 million in water fees collected by client Los Angeles County in a bankruptcy adversary proceeding involving complex contractual and water issues relating to a 7,200 home project planned for the Antelope Valley.
- Secured dismissal of fraud and contract claims in a motion picture production dispute.
- Successfully opposed anti-SLAPP motion in extortion lawsuit involving film financiers.
- Secured on appeal a reduction in punitive damages for a bank in a Fair Credit Reporting Act dispute.
- Representation of numerous healthcare organizations in disputes with both contracted and noncontracted providers involving issues relating to capitation and payment disputes, the corporate practice of medicine, billing practices (including fraud, waste and abuse), management arrangements, risk pools and The Knox-Keene Health Care Service Plan Act of 1975.
- Conducted internal corporate investigations involving allegations of health care fraud and abuse and unfair labor practices.
- Successful representation of internet web design firm and content provider in contract dispute with Hilton Hotels.
- Successful resolution of class action alleging violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act for a national retailer.
- Secured settlements in excess of $1 million on behalf of plaintiffs raising professional liability (legal and accounting) claims.
- Favorable settlement for national and regional food franchisor in defense of contract and quasi contract claims arising from a sports sponsorship arrangement.
- Successfully represented beneficiary in prosecution of fiduciary duty and constructive fraud claims against trustee involving a music royalties dispute.
- Successful representation of hospital in lawsuit involving transplant program.
- Successfully defended the United States Olympic Committee in a constitutional due process challenge to the enforcement of drug testing policies and procedures.
- Successful representation of Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health and Department of Children and Family Services in vendor contract disputes.
- Favorable settlement for non-managing underwriters in class action alleging RICO and Securities Act violations arising from a public securities offering.
- Serve as counsel to a national alcohol beverage wholesaler in contract, marketing, distributor and employment matters.
- Serve as counsel to financial services and hedge fund consulting business.
- J.D., University of Southern California Gould School of Law, Los Angeles, 1987
- M.Sc., The London School of Economics and Political Science, London, United Kingdom, 1984
- B.A., University of Southern California, Los Angeles, 1983
- United States Securities & Exchange Commission, Enforcement Division, Los Angeles, 1986
- United States Federal Trade Commission, Western Region, Los Angeles, 1985
- State Bar of California
- District of Columbia (Inactive)
- All California Federal Courts
- United States Tax Court
- American Bar Association (Litigation and Business Law Sections)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (Litigation Section and Legislative Review Committee)
AWARDS AND DISTINCTIONS
- Southern California “Super Lawyers,” Business Litigation, 2004 to 2021
- Southern California “Super Lawyers,” Corporate Counsel/Business Edition, 2010 to 2011
- Los Angeles Municipal Court, Judge Pro Tem
- Big Brothers of Greater Los Angeles
- Encino Little League, Board Member